The Virtues of Pumpkin
Pumpkins are much more than a Halloween decoration! This humble vegetable is also incredibly rich in vital nutrients.
Health benefits of Pumpkin
- > Very low in calories, and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins.
- > Storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E.
- > Excellent source of many natural flavonoid compounds such as carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin.
- > Good source of the B-complex vitamins such as niacin, folate, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.
- > Rich in minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
- > Pumpkin seeds are high in protein, minerals, vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids.
- > The seeds also provide iron, selenium, zinc and the amino acid tryptophan.
With that being said, it is also a delicious ingredient in many tasty recipes. Try it in soups, pesto, muffins, deserts, and even as a pizza topping.
The recipe that inspired me to write this: a very tasty pumpkin and goat cheese quesadilla!
I hope you will experiment… and Enjoy!
Yours in Health!