Coconut Oil, So Many Wonderful Ways
Ok … we all love chocolate covered coconut bars right? But did you know that there are literally dozens of health and wellness uses for this beloved oil. Read on ..
Coconut oil can help with the following:
- – Acts as a natural sunscreen
- – Helps to reduce belly fat and boost metabolism
- – Heals wounds
- – A natural anti-inflammatory
- – Has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties
- – Boosts brain function
- – Improves nutrient absorption
- – Improves bone health
- – Enhances immune responses
Some interesting personal hygiene uses:
- – Helps heal bug bites and reduces the itch
- – A superb moisturizer
- – Great for pre-shave and aftershave
- – Clears head lice (combined with anise)
- – Hair conditioner – for deep treatment you can leave in overnight
- – A great natural lubricant
- – Helps skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis
- – Great for babies … also used for diaper rash and cradle cap
- – Good for your pets, as well
- – Make up remover
- – Lip moisturizer (and it has the added benefit of offering a slight sunscreen)
Used in cooking:
- – The ideal super-food for smoothies
- – Due to its high smoke point, it is excellent for cooking and sauteing
- – Can replace butter or other oils in many recipes
- – Great in salad dressings, grain dishes, sauces, desserts, snacks, etc.
- – I didn’t even list everything I found. There were dozens of other uses like how it can remove chewing gum from the hair and acts like Goo Gone when mixed with equal parts baking soda. I mean who knew … people use it as a deodorant, toothpaste, hair de-frizzer, bug repellent, for athlete’s foot and canker sores.
It is readily available, all natural and very affordable. Expeller-pressed coconut oil can be used for anything and doesn’t have a strong smell or taste. Virgin oil has a stronger coconut taste and is great for cooking or baking. Look for Organic, Raw food grade. My #1 favorite is from Premier Research Labs. Click here for more info.
And as promised, I am including my favorite (and super easy) recipe for:
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 1 Avocado
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pure Maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons either coconut, almond or rice milk
Scoop out flesh of the avocado and put it in the blender along with the other ingredients.
Blend until smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate…and enjoy!
For 2 of Ashley’s favorite coconut recipes, click here... just delicious!
Yours in Health,
Nancy Sacks, D.H.M.